Essential Skills for Construction Labouring
This programme has been carefully designed with employers and referral organisations to provide you with the necessary knowledge, skills and behaviours required for working as a labourer in the construction sector.
During this course you will develop knowledge and skills including:
- Knowledge and understanding of health and safety requirements of the work area ensuring the safe working of yourself and others
- Understanding the use and importance of appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Effectively receiving and checking incoming materials
- Ensuring effective safety precautions with transferring, lifting and moving materials, with or without equipment
- Effectively and safely transferring materials
- Working with minimum supervision
- Resolving problems within limits of responsibility
- Effective reporting skills
- Preparation for Health and Safety and Construction test
- Preparation for the Health, Safety and Environment external test
In addition to the above, you will also undertake the Health and Safety Construction Level 1 qualification and attend an external centre to undertake the Health, Safety and Environment test.
Successfully achieving both the Health, Safety and Construction qualification and Pearson’s Health, Safety and Environment test will allow UCQ to apply for your CSCS Card. This will enable you to work on a construction site.
You will study this programme using a blended model including:
- Daily online classroom sessions – 0930-1300
- Daily self-directed learning – 2.5 hours to fit your circumstances
- 2 days assessment at UCQ and test centre
Please complete an enquiry form and a member of our engagement team will be in touch to get you started on the course.
Title: Essential Skills for Construction Labouring
Duration: 2 Weeks + 2 days external tests
Upon successful completion of the programme students will achieve EAL Level 2 qualifications in:
- Receiving and Checking Incoming Materials
- Transferring Materials
- Solving work-related problems
- Health and Safety in Construction L1
- Health, Safety and Environment Test
Transferable skills developed throughout the programme include:
- Communication skills
- Numeracy and literacy skills
- Effectively following instructions
- Personal motivation and organisational skills
- Problem Solving
- Time Management
Programmes are available throughout the year and enrolment is flexible. You can study at a time and place to suit your circumstances.
Each student will receive a dedicated tutor who will provide online classes, regular remote delivery supported by interactive study guides and assessment packs.
Study Format: Daily online classrooms, 121 tutorials; remote group work activity and assessment, robust feedback and into work support.
You will be required to attend UCQ to undertake your practical assessments and an external test centre for your Health, Safety and Environment Test.